Sunday, June 15, 2008

Encaustic Conference at Montseratte College


Bang by Russell Thurston

I spent last weekend immersed in discussion about the medium, “encaustic”. Also I viewed maybe 75 encaustic paintings in three different galleries. I highly recommend this annual conference to any artist working in the medium.
This group of artists is quite an interesting tribe. There was an abundance of sharing of knowledge, support and technique inventions.
I returned home with almost too much inspiration and passion. I have been practicing a number of new techniques I learned. Then there is the familiar question, so what do I want to say or do now? What is my next series or comment?

I especially loved Russell Thurston’s work on paper, an image of two dinosaurs walking towards the future. This artist had a nice balance of imagery in context with the medium. It made surreal sense to me.

No comments: